Since the AAPI FSA's first social in March 2015, the FSA's leadership has continued to organize events to build community and provide development opportunities for its members. Socials are organized throughout the year, often at Asian restaurants around Ames and Central Iowa, with larger events opening and closing the academic year. Book clubs, writing retreats, and attendance at lectures have been organized to suppport member development.
Events and highlights
The AAPI FSA:
- Created a Facebook page: Iowa State Asian American & Pacific Islander FSA.
- Contributed to an open letter responding to racially motivated physical, verbal, emotional, and psychological assaults taht took place on September 12, 2015 during the CyHawk football game at Iowa State.
- Organized a book club for Erica Lee's The Making of Asian America: A History. Members of the FSA visited Erica Lee when she served on a panel at the inaugural Define American Film Festival in Des Moines on January 22, 2016.
- Initiated the first IMPAACT (ISU Making Progress for the Asian American Community Today) Retreat for AAPI students on January 24, 2016.
- Organized a book club for Jessica Hagedorn's Dogeaters during the Spring 2017 semester.
- Hosted an oral history workshop led by Rachel Seale and Petrina Jackson, from Special Collections and University Archives, on April 26, 2017.
View additional photos from the AAPI FSA.